Monday, January 14, 2013

Social Stories

As a pediatric Speech Therapist that works primarily with children with Autism or other social disorders, I use social stories often. 

What is a social story? 
A social story is a  tool created specifically for a child or adult to address a behavioral concern, help with transitions or prepare the them  for a new experience.  I have written stories to help children wait in line at the store, only eat their own lunches, prepare for having a new bus and driver, and learn what to expect during their field trip to the zoo.  I have even written stories to help children understand what is happening in their bodies (i.e. wounds healing, puberty) to prepare them or diffuse any anxiety they may have.

How do you write a social story?
A social story should be positive, a list of "do's" not "don'ts" or rules.  Talking about what a child should do allows them to focus on the desired behavior(s) and not on the undesired ones.  For example, if the story says "I shouldn't hit my sister", it may cause the child just to focus on hitting his sister.  Conversely, if the story says "When I get mad at my sister, I can say 'stop it' or 'no'.  I can say 'I'm mad' or 'Leave me alone'.  I can talk to mom or dad about what happened.", it gives the child alternatives to hitting his sister without even mentioning hitting.

I write these stories in first person.  "I" refers to the child.  Making the stories personal makes reading them more fun!  The story should also talk about feelings.  How the child and others feel about the situation and resolution.  An example of the problem: "I get tired of waiting in line at the store.  I want to touch everything or look at things away from where mom is.  This makes mom upset.  She worries if she can't find me.".  The solution: "When I stay by mom and wait patiently with my hands in my pockets, mom is very happy.  She is proud of my behavior.  I like when mom is happy."  Also, I am careful to use language that the individual can understand...on their level.

I use lots of photographs in the stories.   Anyone who spends time with the individual may read the social story.  When possible, I like to use photographs of the actual individual and surroundings.  The best case scenario would be to photograph the child or adult in the actual situation.  This is not always possible.  When it is not, I try to at least have a photograph of the individuals involved in the story.  Google Images is a great resource for free photographs.  For example, if the child is going to a public place like the zoo or firehouse, you can find specific photos or really close photos of the destination.  I have also found some really good pictures of people experiencing different emotions.  You can search very specifically (i.e. hispanic angry girl, crying toddler boy) and find some really nice photos that will show what the story is talking about.

Who uses a social story?
Anyone who needs extra practice in positive social interactions.  They may or may not have Autism.  The child or adult does not easily learn to navigate the social jungle.  They do not understand common social standards and cannot read peoples emotions or intentions.  By rehearsing the positive social interactions portrayed in the social story, they can more easily learn the appropriate behaviors.  I am actually considering a social story about using a kleenex for my nose-picking 4 year old!

How do you use a social story?
Social stories are to be read many times.   Anyone who spends time with the individual may read the social story: a parent, grandparent, sibling, instructional aide, therapist, or friend.  Limiting the number of social stories to 1 or 2 at a time will help the individual to keep the information straight and not confuse the stories.  I learned at a conference that an individual with Autism needs up to 4 weeks to learn a new skill.  The repetition of the social story allows the child or adult to really learn the information presented as well as affording them opportunities to implement the information.

So, in a nutshell, my process is as follows: determine the targeted behavior to extinguish or encourage, write out the text of the story, add pictures and edit it so it is easy to read.

The link below takes you to an example of a social story.  Please feel free to ask any questions in the comment section.  Happy writing!

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=gmail&attid=0.1&thid=13c3a193d5557bcc&mt=application/vnd.openxmlformats-officedocument.wordprocessingml.document&url=https://mail.google.com/mail/?ui%3D2%26ik%3Df328575db5%26view%3Datt%26th%3D13c3a193d5557bcc%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&sig=AHIEtbQ5WDcFyleuGQf_TO8CQgFYkyifpw




1 comment: