Wednesday, May 22, 2013

The Bathroom Library

I used to tease a friend of mine about her "bathroom library", the stack of books on the back of her toilet.  She would speak of all the wonderful things she was reading in the multiple books on her current reading list. As a reluctant reader, I have trouble finishing books.  I read slowly, but don't miss a detail.  Great for academics, not so great for reading for pleasure!   Also, I used to get hung up on completing a whole book before moving onto the next.  This method left me with many an unfinished book.

As I was making my witty comments about her reading methods  (because I am hilarious), I found myself wishing I could glean the gems of wisdom that she was from her bathroom full of books.  She could speak of varied things from parenting to gardening to spiritual inspiration.  Um, I read a magazine article the other day at the dentist's office...

So, I decided to try it her way.  For the last couple of months I have been keeping several books in my bathroom in a container next to the, well, quietest seat in my house.  I have 7 children who are learning to let mama have her privacy in the bathroom.  Another friend admitted to me that sometimes she just goes in there to read in peace!  I haven't resorted to that...yet.

Currently, I am reading 4 different books during my brief moments of solitude.  I read whichever one seems interesting in the moment, except when I need to get a chapter read in the book we are discussing for the ladies class at church.  I have to say, I was very skeptical, but it is really working!  I am reading more text and more consistently than I have in years.  Better than that, I am actually enjoying reading!  I look forward to my literary oasis.

Moral of the story?  Don't laugh at your friends until you try their crazy ideas!

Below are photos of the books I am currently reading.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you had me laughing out loud, Kristin!

    I've got a really good book on the back of my "potty chair", as my 2 yr. old calls it, right now. It's called Treasuring God in our Traditions by Noel Piper. I've read it years ago, and now as a mom of 5 (going on 6!), I am gleaning even more from it. Love your list of books as well.

    Blessings,

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you had me laughing out loud, Kristin!

    I've got a really good book on the back of my "potty chair", as my 2 yr. old calls it, right now. It's called Treasuring God in our Traditions by Noel Piper. I've read it years ago, and now as a mom of 5 (going on 6!), I am gleaning even more from it. Love your list of books as well.

    Blessings,

    Tanya

    ReplyDelete