Thursday, November 22, 2012

Boy Time

I am always looking for things to do with my boys.  Just me and them.  With the girls it's easy.  They are happy to paint nails or dress up or go to a local coffee shop and talk.  Boys want adventure!  They want to build something.  They want to destroy something.  They would really like to set something on fire! 

For years, I have resisted gun play.  They were initially not allowed to have any toy guns.  I would even search out water squirters that looked like sharks or dolphins instead of guns.  Then came the Nerf gun phenomenon.  Those were allowable because they didn't look real and only had foam bullets.  A few Christmases later, I found myself purchasing 2 Red Rider BB guns.  I totally caved!

Taking time to aim.
You have to understand that neither my husband nor I grew up in a family that hunted or even had guns for protection.  But now we live in an area where there is a lot of opportunity to hunt.  Most of the families we spend time with own guns, usually for hunting.


Shooting cans gives immediate feedback.
So I decided that I needed to understand how to use the BB guns, all about their safety and function.  Our oldest son and I were doing some target practice and I discovered something.  I really like to shoot things!  Well, I like to shoot cans at least.  It was a great time with my boys (our younger son joined in too).  They loved learning a new skill.  Of course, within minutes, they had created a competition as well. 

It was really fun.  I didn't necessarily want to play with guns.  I had tons of things to do inside and could have easily occupied myself.  But it was so worth it.  Not just because it was fun.  Mostly because of the memories it gave my boys.  I want them to remember me as a mom who engaged in the activities that they were interested in.  Don't get me wrong, they are happy to eat the goodies I make during my times in the kitchen.  They just reallly appreciate the times spent learning about their interests, knowing them better.


No comments:

Post a Comment