Friday, November 16, 2012

Organizing Art Supplies

As a Homeschool mom, I am constantly frustrated that my children can never put their supplies away in the right boxes.  We have ample storage containers that are often empty.  No one seems to be able to find a pencil.  Crayons are always disappearing...probably in the same place as baby socks and earrings!  I am also a Speech-Language Pathologist who works primarily with Autistic and non-verbal children.  I tell you that so you will understand my preoccupation with pictures.  Autistic children can understand things so much better with pictures and children who cannot communicate with words or signs do very well with picture symbols.  I will post more on this later.  My hope is to have this blog much more organized very soon so that you can search by topic (I am still a newbie at blogging!).

So why haven't I put my mad visual support skills to use at home?  Maybe because I use it so much at work, that I am burnt out (not likely).  Or maybe I separate my home from work because we are blessed to have children who are all developing normally.  Whatever the reason, I have overcome it and have implemented visuals to help my children remember where to put their supplies.  Our children range in age from 21 months to nearly 13 years old.  All of our children are equally bad at putting things away!  Also, I have noticed that labeling with words doesn't work well, even for the ones who can read.  Maybe it doesn't catch their attention as well as the color photos.

My idea is this...put a picture of each category of supplies on each container.  Markers.  Pens and pencils. Crayons.  Glue, tape, and scissors.  Simple, right?  Then why did it take me so long to do it?  The million dollar question!

Here's how I did it:
1. Find images on Google Images.  When you find one you like, click on the largest image available.  The resolution is best when you copy the largest image.  You can quickly copy the photo by left-clicking and choosing "copy" from the menu (I would be happy to provide a more detailed explanation for the less computer-savvy among us).  Don't worry too much about the picture.  I get a little finicky sometimes and end up wasting time when the perfect picture is not that important.  It will not inhibit my children's ability to put away their crayons if it's not exactly like our crayons or if it has a very light watermark on it.

2. Paste the picture onto a document of some kind.  I was able to put multiple pictures on a page because I didn't need very large pictures to fit on the supply boxes.  Save a tree...one piece of printer paper at a time!  I prefer to print in color because younger children are better able to make the connection between the 2D picture and the equivalent 3D school supply.  This is especially true of the visual learner, especially individuals with Autism.

3. Cut out the pictures and adhere them to the boxes.  My boxes are plastic, so glue or decoupage would not work.  I happened to have some clear packaging tape on hand since we were preparing to move.  This has worked really well.

4. Organize the supplies according to the picture labels.  This is my favorite part!  I love the feeling that I get when I look in the school supplies area and see it so organized.  I just don't like doing it every week or so!

It has been over a month and one move later and it is still working!  I almost can't believe it.  They are not perfect, but when they forget, it is so much easier for them to put the supplies away in the correct place.  Success!

*To parents of, friends to, or professionals who work with individuals with disabilities:  I plan on posting ideas for using visual supports, social stories, and other communication helps.  If you have a specific need, please let me know.  I would love use the knowledge I have in this venue.

No comments:

Post a Comment